A tradition of trust

  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Family Law
  4.  » Should you request a child support modification or wait?

Should you request a child support modification or wait?

On Behalf of | Apr 21, 2023 | Family Law

Child support is crucial after a divorce that involves children. The Bureau of Child Support Enforcement helps parents collect monthly child support payments in Pennsylvania to ensure kids’ needs are met. However, in some instances, a parent may need to increase or decrease their payment. 

If this is what you need to do, this guide highlights what to consider when requesting modification, particularly if you want to decrease it. 

Don’t wait: Take proactive steps to resolve the problem

Of course, any parent can experience a financial problem that may make it challenging to pay child support. The question is, when is the right time to request the modification? 

Some people wait for different reasons, perhaps they have a promising job offer or think that they can somehow make up the difference very quickly. However, it will be best to request the modification sooner to avoid getting into high debt. 

When you miss child support payments, your overdue ones will pile up. This will technically be debt with the other parent – and the state – acting as your creditor. The state can and will take action, and this can significantly affect your credit score. Further, you may be arrested on contempt charges for failure to pay your court-ordered support and lose your driving license or passport, among other consequences.

Does talking to the other parent count?

You should inform the other parent that you will be unable to pay child support to avoid misunderstandings and to help them prepare for the deficit in their budget – but this has no effect on your legal obligations. You need to go through the proper procedures in the family court to modify the existing order.

It is best to request a child support modification sooner. Contact an attorney at the Quinn Law Firm at 814-833-2222 to help you with the process or to learn more about your legal options. 

FindLaw Network