A tradition of trust

  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Family Law
  4.  » Post-divorce modifications in Pennsylvania

Post-divorce modifications in Pennsylvania

On Behalf of | Oct 23, 2018 | Family Law, Firm News

For many, receiving the news that their divorce has been finalized comes as a huge relief. However, if the terms of the divorce were not what you wanted, you may feel frustration and anger instead. The good news is that it can be possible to change the terms of the divorce or appeal a judge’s decision, even after the divorce has been finalized.

If you believe that an error has been made or you want to modify your divorce after its finalization, it is important that you understand more about how the law works in the state of Pennsylvania.

Making a modification

The simplest way to change your divorce outcome is to file a motion to modify the divorce judgment. This can be done by making a filing with the same court that issued your divorce. In order to be successful in your divorce modification, you should be able to demonstrate either an error or a change of circumstances.

Making an appeal

Making an appeal in the state of Pennsylvania is a more complex process than a modification. It is required when a very serious error has been made that affected the outcome of the divorce. In order to make an appeal, you need to first give notice. Following the notice, a Record on Appeal must be prepared, giving a detailed transcript of all communication recorded by the court reporter during trial.

If you want to change your divorce after finalization, it is a good idea to weigh up the implications of seeking a change. An experienced attorney can explain how the law applies to your situation.  To learn more, contact a family law attorney at the Quinn Law Firm by calling us at 814-806-2518.


FindLaw Network